How to Cook A Delicious King Fish Dish
Kingfish are often overlooked in the western world and many people usually just smoke it. They are regarded as oily and can become very fishy if frozen and not eaten fresh. However when eaten within a couple days of capture, they provide for some of the best table far IMO. I have been wanting to experiment with some new kingfish recipes and I did just that the other day! Most people don't think of Fish curry in the west, but this is very popular in the Eastern world and I have been dying to dry it! Enjoy the recipe and video below!
I have cooked kingfish many a ways, but this one will spice up any boring fish dish!
I'll begin by saying I'm no curry expert, by any means but I did do my background research and here are the underlying principles behind any curry dish!
- Onion, Garlic and Ginger are the key to begin any curry dish.
- Spices!!! and lots of them! Get creative, but most curries have Turmeric,
- cumin, chili powders, and coriander.
- The curry needs a liquid body. This can be yogurt, coconut milk, tomato puree, onion puree, etc.
Lastly you add you're protein of choice chicken, fish, tofu, etc. Or you can Go a vegetarian route and do strictly vegetables.
Everything else is additional including vegetables and herbs such as cilantro.
- Fish about 1 1/2 lbs or 24oz (kingfish, but use what you want)
- Black Pepper, Salt and Garlic powder to season fish.
- 1 Large yellow onion, 2-4 tbsp grated or paste of Garlic and Ginger
- Spices: 1 tbsp ground: coriander, Clove, Cumin, Chilli Powder, Paprika, Turmeric, 1 tsp Salt
- 2-3 cups of diced plum tomato
- 1 13oz can coconut milk
- 1 8.5 oz can Coco Lopez (Cream of Coconut)
- 2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 1 Lime, 1 Zucchini, Cilantro 1/4 cup chopped, 8oz Snow peas
- 1) Begin heating 2 tbsp olive oil med heat, Dice onion into small pieces, cook over medium heat till brown and caramelized.
- 2) Press one head of garlic through garlic press and grate ginger into as small pieces as possible (Garlic paste and/or Ginger paste can be substituted).
- 3) Add Garlic + Ginger to Onion cook for 1-2 min without burning! Add 1/4 cup of water, cook 2 more min.
- 4) Add Spices cook 2-3 min. Add Diced tomatoes (or mixture of 1/4 cup tomato paste+ 3/4 cup water) Cook down until tomato is very soft!
- 5) Add to blender and liquefy if you used diced tomato, or skip this if you like a thicker curry or went the tomato paste route.
- 6) Before the next step, Start your Jasmine rice, I went with 2 cups, so 4 cups of water. Bring rice to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20min while you are doing the next step.
- 7) Place curry mixture back into pot, add coconut milk, bring to boil and add Zucchini bite size pieces and Snow peas, reduce heat and simmer for 20 min, curry should be done at this point, add sugar, salt or spices to balance flavors, and water, tomato paste or coconut milk to thicken or thin up curry.
8) Rice should be done, add 1 can of coco lopez to rice and mix!
- 9) Season 1 inch thick fillets of kingfish lightly with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- 10) Cook 1 in thick sections of kingfish on medium heat in 3 tbsp olive oil/2 tbsp butter mixture. 2-3 min per side.
- 11) Remove from heat and serve! The curry can be served on top of rice and/or fish! Garnish plate with lime and finely cut cilantro atop of curry.
Video of the entire process can be found below:
We hope that you enjoyed this article on the Bullbuster Community. It is our mission to help millions of anglers spend more time fishing and that starts with YOU!
Buy your fishing line online here on bullbuster.net to join a movement!